Regional Economic Development Director
Regional Economic Development Director Position Description
This position would cover Douglas, Bayfield, Ashland, Iron, Burnett, Washburn, Sawyer, Price, Rusk, and Taylor Counties. The candidate would need to reside in the region.
The Business and Community Development Team is responsible to provide project management and to deliver resources to businesses and communities within the established budget, program guidelines, and timeline. This position is a key member of a project team, participates in program and project development, disseminates project information, builds partner relationships, and is an active participant in project-related work groups and committees.
The Regional Economic Development Director will spend a majority of his/her time in performing these activities:
- Provide consultation and technical assistance encompassing the range of community and business development including planning, developing and enhancement of infrastructure as well as project financing strategy.
- Represent WEDC services and improve the customer management process to improve customer satisfaction and response times.
- Generate assistance opportunities for Wisconsin communities and businesses.
- Manage and support a set of community and business accounts in a designated region.
- Expand extended enterprise capabilities and coordination in a designated region
- Lead the development and implementation of tools to advance regional community, business and economic development goals.
- Participate as a key member of the project team, participate in program and project development, disseminate project information and are active participants in project-related work groups and committees.
- Work with regional planning commissions, communities, regional economic development organizations, and other community development partners to assist them in improving the operations and performance of their organization and to support them in efforts to provide regular relationship building and data collection.
- Review and analyze projects and provide recommendations for funding.
- Act as a financial packaging expert who maintains rapport and works closely with financial networks and communities that fund and invest in business and community prospects.
- Review financial documentation including financial statements and financial commitments from other parties.
- Act as resource on issues including program design and implementation, performing specific evaluation, monitoring and planning tasks.
- Review and revise program operations to assure program consistency with WEDC missions.
- Assist in the creation and maintenance of program applications, implementation manuals and guides.
- Provide community, business and economic development project leads to Senior Economic Development Director or Vice President using WEDC software tools.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and other reports as required by funding sources.
- Perform on-site monitoring of WEDC assisted projects.
- Work with businesses in the region directly to facilitate access to financial and business assistance resources.
- Work with businesses in the region who have received WEDC related assistance to ensure ongoing performance and support.
- Working with regional, county, and local economic development officials:
- in an assigned region to help businesses grow by providing business consulting assistance and linking the businesses to available financial, workforce, and business assistance resources.
- to deploy consistent economic development tools that align with state economic development objectives.
- to support them in efforts to provide regular business relationship building and data collection.
- to assist them in improving the operations and performance of their organization.
- to ensure full communication on economic development resources available from the state of Wisconsin.
- Maintain knowledge of public and private development resources.
- Attend recipient public relation events.
- Participate in State and National economic, community and business development activities, seminars and conferences; attend Regional Economic Development Organization meetings.
- Represent WEDC in speaking engagements in the regions.
- Work with the Business and Community Development Team to support division strategies and performance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Urban and Regional Studies, Urban Planning, Community Development, Business Administration, or related field or comparable education/experience/training.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in economic or community development or related field required.
- Management of an economic development organization preferred.
- Certified Economic Developer (CEcD) or Economic Development Finance Professional (EDFP) certification preferred.
Skills and Talents:
- Strong understanding of state, WEDC, and WEDC partner services.
- Demonstrated ability to partner and influence at all levels of the business and community and to be viewed as a credible, valuable source of information and integral part of management team.
- Strong public speaking skills required.
- Strong project management skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects required.
- Strong customer relationship management skills required.
- Ability to make sound decisions.
- Ability to solve complex problems, sound reasoning, independent judgment and initiative to accomplish tasks.
- Quantitative, analytical and problem solving skills.
- PC applications including word processing, spreadsheet, database management and Windows software.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to deal effectively with senior executives, as well as diverse groups of people internal and external to the organization; team player.
- Organizational and record-keeping skills; attention to detail.
- State-wide travel will occur on a frequent basis, more than 30% of the time. Travel is anticipated to include day and overnight travel.
- Possession of a valid driver's license and proof of auto insurance that meets minimum state requirements are required.
- This position is eligible for reimbursement according to the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) program. This position requires the employee to provide a mobile device that allows for phone, text, and email access.